Annual maintenance is important to ensure the value and comfort of your new home for years to come. Below are suggestions to help you with both year-round and seasonal maintenance.
General Home Maintenance
- Windows: Maintain window weep holes from dust and dirt to prevent leaks.
- Garbage Disposals: Always use cold water when using your garbage disposal. Hot water will shorten the life span of the disposal with grease deposits.
- Jacuzzis: Every six months add a 1/2 capful of bleach to lukewarm water just above the jets and run for 30 minutes. This will keep the jet waterlines free from built-up residue and will also rinse out the filters.
- Fireplace Chimney: Chimneys must be periodically cleaned – but this can be minimized by buying a 12×12 chimney cap to prevent birds from nesting.
- Crawl Space: If you have crawl space vents, make sure they are closed in the winter.
- Garage Doors: The moving parts of your garage door should be greased every three months with a substance designed for garage doors. Screws that fasten the hardware should be tightened every year because as the wood shrinks, they may loosen.
- Wood Doors: Doors can warp because of humidity, which can prevent doors from properly closing after some time. To help keep doors from warping, close them at night or during the day every day. The jamb will help keep them straight.
- Solid Hardwood Floors: Hardwood floors need to be waxed with spirit wax periodically, based on the amount of traffic and use they experience. Put felt pads on the bottom of all furniture on hardwood flooring to prevent scratching.
Spring Home Maintenance
- Windows: Check the condition of exterior caulk around windows. Re-caulk as necessary to avoid air leaks. Check and repair any screen damage.
- Roof and Gutters: Inspect the roof and gutter systems for snow and ice damage. Repair as necessary.
- Lawn: Feed and seed your lawn, re-work any topsoil erosion, and plant annuals and perennials. Consult a local nursery or horticulturist on a plan to fit your particular lawn and landscaping needs.
- Driveway: Repair any driveway damage.
- Smoke/CO2 Detectors: Test smoke detectors and change batteries. Test carbon monoxide detectors.
Summer Home Maintenance
- Lawn: Apply weed killer to your lawn.
- Driveway: Seal coat your asphalt driveway and approach.
- Air Conditioning: Have your air conditioning system cleaned and checked by professional contractor.
- Plumbing: Check your hot water heater for mineral build-up; drain and refill. Clean faucet aerators. Check all interior caulking.
- Interior Projects: Complete paint touch up or other redecorating projects.
Fall Home Maintenance
- Lawn: Mulch any landscaping that needs winter protection. Remove water hoses from frost-free hose bibs and store hoses to prevent freezing.
- Heating Systems: Have your heating system cleaned and checked by a professional contractor.
- Fireplace: Check your fireplace operation and inspect the flue or chimney to see if it need to be cleaned by a professional contractor.
Winter Home Maintenance
- Windows: To reduce condensation on your windows, use a dehumidifier during the heating season and raise blinds daily for air circulation.
- Driveway: Asphalt or concrete driveways will last longer with the immediate removal of snow and ice. Also, be aware that use of salt on driveways and concrete walks is not recommended.
Have other questions about your new home? Talk with a Hartz Homes customer service representative today!